Thursday, October 19, 2006

Bees or Beavers?

Which are busier? I'm not sure. I've been one of them these last 10 or 12 days. I'm trying to set up a major event for a few months from now (which means a website and promo materials which I can't afford to contract out), keep up with the work of the ministry, while coaching a small high school basketball team. It's been great fun, but I'm tired and I haven't been able to write five words in the last week.

I've been listening to a lot of sermon podcasts lately. My favorite is still Matt Chandler, but I recently picked up Mark Driscoll's and Rob Bell's podcasts, and have been very impressed. I guess I should have seen it coming, considering the number of people they've each brought near to Christ, but it still amazes me. I'm moved by these men's words every day.

If you've read any of my posts, you know that I'm pretty conservative theologically. I believe it's the responsibility of a Christian to find out what the Bible's writers were trying to say at the time. When you're reading a history, see it as a history; when you're reading a parable, see it as one; when you're reading an apocalypse, know that it's metaphor. And when the writers meant what they said literally, accept it literally. Dig in to find the whole meaning, but know that it's meant to be literal.

I've heard plenty of derogatory terms for Christians from the outside, but I heard(or read, rather) the first one from the inside a few days ago: bibliolators. The writer believes that people who hold any person's belief, revelation, or prophecy (not the future-telling kind) up to Scripture to see if it's right, and "put the Bible on a pedastal" so-to-speak, are idolators. It made me sad. How could you be a Christian and go against the book that tells you of your Lord? How could you fault, even insult, people who won't? Jesus' every teaching was from Scripture. He used it constantly. He taught rabbis and dressed-down the religious elites using Scripture. And that was God. What makes you think that we could do better without it?

"For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God's sight."
1 Corinthians 3:19

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home