Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Change of Heart

I've been doing a lot of reading lately, and I feel convicted to change my stance on war.

This isn't direct to the Iraq War, but to all war. I think that a Christian has no place committing any acts of war, period. This is a very new belief for me, so I haven't processed it very much, but am fairly settled in it.

As for the Iraq War, I'm torn. I feel that if we leave Iraq the battle will be brought to us, and I don't like that thought. I want to be safe. But I've realized (I think God revealed it to me through Scripture and the thoughts of others) that I need to rely on Him to keep me safe, and that whatever happens, Christians have dealt with it before and we can deal with it again. "[We] can do all things through Christ who strengthens [us]."

For anyone who is convinced that Conservative Christians all believe the same things across the board and are unwilling to listen to the other side, let this be an example that the truth surpasses political barriers. Perhaps you should also listen a little more closely to the brothers and sisters on your right.

1 Comments:

At 10:47 AM, Blogger Matt W. said...

This is brave and full of conviction. I came to the same conclusion in 2001 after being a conservative who literally found that my convictions about war (generally support whenever Americans were involved) were part of my identity and that my identity needed to be solely grounded in Jesus and his mission (birth, teachings, life, death, resurrection, continued ministry today).

I've been there, brother. It was hard to make that leap and it's a struggle to stay true to the conviction that lead me out, but I find it well worth it.

I want to suggest a book to you by ethicist Glen Stassen. It's called Just Peacemaking: Transforming Initiatives for Justice and Peace and it is the book that led me to make that turn. It also helped me to understand that there was more than pacifist and warmongering options. WAY more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home