Sunday, August 06, 2006

You Call That Protection?

Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States relating to marriage.

    Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled (two-thirds of each House concurring therein), That the following article is proposed as an amendment to the Constitution of the United States, which shall be valid to all intents and purposes as part of the Constitution when ratified by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several States:

`Article--

`SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

    `This Article may be cited as the `Marriage Protection Amendment'.

`SECTION 2. MARRIAGE AMENDMENT.

`Marriage in the United States shall consist solely of the union of a man and a woman. Neither this Constitution, nor the constitution of any State, shall be construed to require that marriage or the legal incidents thereof be conferred upon any union other than the union of a man and a woman.'.

Let me begin by saying that I believe God intended covenant marriage to exist between men and women. Since I can't cite Scripture taking it any farther than that, I will say that I think that one man and one woman should commit to each other fully, and solely, in order for marriage to work. But this just chaps my hide.

The institution of marriage has been around a looooong time. It's survived centuries of men treating women as property. It survived the dark ages, the Enlightenment, and the Industrial Revolution. It survived the War of 1812, the Civil War, the two Great Wars, and Vietnam. And it has stood strong through our society's turn towards cohabitation and parents who avoid marriage. But it's suffering some staggering blows.

The traditional family in the US has been on the decline for 40 years. It's almost rare for a child to be raised by both biological parents. People are choosing to stay single (but not celibate), and those who do get married do it much later and with much less committment than in past generations. Even when they're married they have a bag packed in case they aren't "satisfied". The marriage bond is weakening and prenups and no-fault divorce are just making it worse.

Thank God someone figured out how to protect this sacred institution from further damage; by focusing our energy on making sure gay people don't get married. "We can't let the sanctity of marriage be tainted," they say. "We hold it in high esteem and we aren't going to let it fall apart in this country."

My only question for these people is: are you blind? Marriage is crumbling all around us. How many divorcees do you know? I know a lot. More than I ever thought I'd meet. "I learned my lesson, I'll never do that again." Sure, you can blame it on youth the first time, because you were 21, but what about when the 2nd turn ends? or the 3rd?

I guess the worst part of it for me is that, when people talk about the end of their first marriage, or their second, they never seem repentant. They're hurt, and they may still be confused, but all are oblivious to the fact that, even if it wasn't their "fault", it's still a sin.

When you marry someone, your vows don't say, "I promise to love you as long as you don't tick me off or frustrate me, you keep me happy, you do everything I think you should in order to satisfy my wants (not needs), and you don't leave the seat up." At least mine didn't. I told my wife I would love her and cherish her until death parts us. Not the death of romance, or finance, or sex, or good health...I promised to be there for better or worse; worse in me, in her, in us. Marriage in this country doesn't need protection from gays, it needs protection from us.



2 Comments:

At 7:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, You've been a busy blogger! I dont have time to read them all now but I'll check back on them later.

I've said from the beginning of the controversy that this really shouldn't be a government issue. Personally I'd like to see the government abolish marriage, create a civil union for government record purposes that everyone has access to, then let churches govern over marriages. Marriage is a religious institution to begin with so let the church handle it.

On a side note, the first gay/lesbian couple in Vermont I believe is now living cordially seperated. They refuse to divorce in respect for the movement, but are no longer living together.

 
At 10:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i ran an informal poll on the way to black-eyed pea yesterday. 7 out of 8 divorced southern baptists think that gays are ruining the sanctity of marriage. i'm still working on the standard deviation and the median.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home