Tuesday, August 01, 2006

What in the world?

Life is strange. Youth ministry is supposed to be one of those things that people get into to serve God, disciple and encourage teenagers, and support families. That's why I did it. Well, I like video games and lock-ins and acting like a 15 year-old, too; but that's just gravy.

Looking around at the things that are going on in the sheltered, isolated, bubble-realm of youth work though, I'm tempted to ask God and everybody else, "What in the world?". In the last week I just learned of two youth ministers in churches my friends attend to used their position to take advantage of the teens in their care. I think there are a total of 15 girls in all whose innocence, whether given or taken, was lost to the very people expected to protect it. These men, whose call was to spread the Gospel and teach young Christians to become strong followers in the faith, instead allowed the poison of their selfishness to destroy all that God wanted to build through them. Well, they didn't destroy all of it, because God's work will continue, but these scars will last.

I don't ask that begging question though, because it answers itself. The "what" is revealed by "in the world". One of my friends, who sat with his former youth minister while he revealed to his wife the secret life he'd been leading, said this: "I know he's just a man..." That, of course was followed by "but", but I was so amazed at his reaction. We are all fallen and unworthy of the grace God gives us. It takes a real man to realize that. It takes a true, ardent follower to stand by someone who is facing this type of disgrace. I know he's just a man...

In the midst of all this controversy I heard an unsettling story from a veteran youth worker, we'll call him Al. Apparently a youth minister in his town had recently revealed himself as a homosexual, and was removed from his position. Shortly thereafter, Al's group was going on a planned trip to a waterpark. The mother of one of his student's decided that she didn't know Al very well, and wasn't comfortable with her son going on the trip, so she kept him home. Al was confused as to why things have to be this way. Foolishly I tried to explain it...but in the end I had to say, "I'm just as confused as you are." The real truth is that only God can change hearts, but we can guard them. Evil doesn't seep in unless we let it.

Above all else, guard your heart,
for it is the wellspring of life.

Proverbs 4:23

Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings.

1Peter 5:8-9

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home